Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Second Opinion on Learning Disorders - Lauren Schmidt

For my TED talk, I looked at “A Second Opinion on Learning Disorders” by Aditi Shankardass. She talked about a breakthrough in technology that can detect the slightest abnormalities in the brain. Developmental disorders up until now have only been diagnosed based on how the child behaves; But, this new technology allows scientists to look at the brain. Shankardass mentioned how one in every six children has some sort of developmental disorder (mental retardation, learning disorders, attention disorders, autism spectrum disorders, genetic disorders, sensory processing disorder, and epilepsy, seizure and sleep disorders). She explained how you must look at the child’s brain to make the correct diagnosis. This new technology records the EEG (electrical activity) in the brain and allows us to detect the smallest abnormalities. There are also two programs that go along with this: Brain Electrical Activity Mapping and Statistical Probability Mapping. Brain Electrical Activity Mapping allows us to find the source of the detected abnormality in the brain. Statistical Probability Mapping uses mathematical calculations to determine if the abnormalities can be treated and allows us to make a more accurate neurological diagnosis for the symptoms. She also tells a story about a seven-year-old boy named Justin that was told he had autism and would never be able to interact, communicate, or really use language. Justin was brought into her clinic to be tested and it was discovered he actually had brain seizures, not autism. Two months after being on some anti-seizure medication he went from knowing how to say 2 words to over 300. He also showed so much improvement in his interaction and social skills that he got to be enrolled in a normal school. One more statistic she used was that 50% of children diagnosed with autism and other disorders are actually suffering from brain seizures. She emphasized how important it was to spread this new technology.

Aditi Shankardass was brought on a tour of her cousin’s medical school when she was only ten. She was taken to the pathology lab where her cousin let her hold a real human brain. From that day she knew she wanted to be a brain doctor scientist or something of that sort. For her BS degree, she was trained in Neurophysiology. Her MS degree is in neuroanatomy. Finally her PhD is in Neuropsychology. She has worked in various levels of the field, including cellular neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, and pediatric neurology. Shankardass has also worked in both research labs and diagnostic clinics. She also worked in the UK using EEG to research the underlying neurological cause of dyslexia, as well as a neuroscience consultant for the BBS science line. She now is the head of the Neurophysiology clinic, leads the EEG Lab of the Communicative Orders Department at California State University, and serves as a board member of the Global Neuroscience Initiative Foundation.

She is such a leader in her field because she is the head of the clinic that diagnoses so many children with a different problem that can be cured. This is very groundbreaking because half the kids that would have had autism or other disorders, now do not have to live with that for the rest of their life. Shankardass has been the subject of documentaries, presentations (like the prize-winning one to the British Parliament), and publications. She also plans on bringing the new technology to India which id a huge success as well.

Shankardass’ video helped me figure out what sorts of things I am interested in: It caught my interest because it popped up when I looked at both “Children” and “Medicine” categories. Although I have not quite decided yet what I want to do, I have always thought medicine would be a very likely possibility. Growing up with two parents that are doctors, I just always thought I would be interested in that. But it was not until recently that I discovered that I would be very happy in a career that deals with children. I will be attending Stanford University next year, undecided, but I am really thinking about going into something that involves both medicine and children. I truly take a lot of pleasure in being with kids; If this leads me to becoming psychiatrist for children, a doctor in sports medicine, or a pediatrician, I would really love that. After my 4 years at Stanford, I do plan on another four years of medical school so that I can earn my degree(s) or PhD in the career I choose. Shankardass has inspired me to devote my work to helping others; I want to be in a job where others can largely benefit from what I have done for them. That is where I find my satisfaction in life. I am really excited to see where I end up, and I will be working hard to get there every step of the way.

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible!! This research obviously has the potential to be world changing. It also is incredibly hopeful that medicine/science can find solutions to these devastating diseases. I want to work with children in an educational setting, but it's absolutely amazing that you've found this different field to work with them. (Not to mention that I'm sure you will be fabulous with your warm personality in whatever you decide to do!)I wish you the best of luck in your college endeavors!!

    ReplyDelete