Friday, May 13, 2011

John Williams

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/john_wooden_on_the_difference_between_winning_and_success.html

John Wooden on True Success

In the TED talk by John Wooden, Wooden tells his opinion on true success. The hall of fame UCLA basketball coach says that success is, “Peace of mind attained only through self satisfaction and knowing you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable.” Wooden goes on to elaborate on how in sports and in life success is not based on results, but it is based on genuine effort. Wooden is a renowned coach with a very impressive record, having won ten NCAA National Championships (7 in a row). However, he emphasizes that winning is not what is most important. John Wooden makes it clear that he tries to instill good virtues in his players that will serve them for the rest of their lives. Among his teachings he stresses timeliness, no profanity, and looking presentable. He taught his players how to succeed not only in basketball, but in life as well.

John Wooden went to high school in Indiana, and then attended Purdue University to play basketball. In 1932 he lead Purdue to A National Championship. He was selected as a All-Big Ten and All-Midwestern player form 1930-1932, and he was named as an All American three times. He graduated from Purdue University as an English major, and passed up a professional basketball career to become a high school teacher and coach in 1932. After World War II, Wooden got a coaching job at Indiana State winning many games. In 1948, he accepted the offer to coach at UCLA despite the school’s terrible record and sub-par facilities. Wooden instantly turned the team around, having a winning season in his first year, and every year thereafter. He coached until 1975. His 10 national championships and 88 game winning streak is yet to be matched.

I chose Wooden’s talk because I would like to get into the coaching field after my education and athletic career. Next year I am going to attend the University of California at Davis and play baseball. I am yet to decide what my major is going to be, possibly economics or communications. I do believe that good education is necessary in the field of coaching, even if it is not directly related. I am going to continue my baseball career as long as I can, and possibly become a professional if the opportunity presents itself. It is through playing baseball that I will learn many of the finer points about the game so I can teach it in the future. Many good coaches were also good players. After finishing my career and graduating (whatever order that occurs in) I plan on starting out small as either as high school or grade school coach, and working my way up to becoming a collegiate coach. This career interests me because I am very passionate about baseball, and I will be able to enjoy getting up and going to work everyday.

Just as John Wooden emphasized in his talk, I plan on being a coach that focuses on making my players successful in life and in sports. Wooden is a great example of how the values of a coach can have a huge impact on a program. I hope to be coach that can have an impact such as Wooden’s.

3 comments:

  1. Thats awesome John! I think it would be a great career being able to coach. It is definitely something that I have considered as well with soccer. Being able to pursue your passion and stay involved with what you love (baseball) is a win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah John Wooden is a truly great coach and great man. I totally agree with him when he says success is based on effort not results. I hope you follow your dream and do what you love to do

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I can relate to this and gymnastics and say that values and future success are important in a sport. I think that your decision to become a pro baseball player or coach is really cool! Baseball must be a big part of your life and it's great that you are planning on making it your job and way of life. A coach is one of the most important people on a team!

    ReplyDelete