Monday, May 16, 2011

Building a Theater that Remakes Itself

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/joshua_prince_ramus_building_a_theater_that_remakes_itself.html

This TED talk, given by Joshua Prince-Ramus, was interesting to me because it refers to two of the career paths that have interested me. This talk is about architecture and how architects need to reconfigure their job description. I could relate to this part of the talk because he talks about architects being very removed from the execution of projects, which is why I decided not to pursue my initial interest in becoming an architect. I decided that I want to be involved in the actual execution of the projects I am involved in rather than designing their aesthetic characteristics and not having the knowledge to make my ideas a reality. Ramus also talks about a transformable theater that his architectural firm has created. The stage and seating arrangements in this theater can be moved around to create a different atmosphere for different productions. This is the kind of thing I would like to work on in the future.

Joshua Prince-Ramus is the principal of REX, an internationally known architecture and design firm. He is best known for his work on the Seattle Central Library. He first founded his architecture firm called OMA and later changed its name to REX. Some of his most recent projects include the AT&T Performing Arts Media Center, the Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre in Dallas, Texas and the Vakko Fashion Center and Power Media Center in Istanbul, Turkey. I think the most interesting thing about Ramus is his creative and innovative style. I also really like that despite being an architect and focusing mainly on the design aspect of construction, he also has vast knowledge of the engineering aspects. The Seattle Central Library definitely exhibits his unique ideas. It looks like it has several “floating platforms” and has the appearance of a glass structure wrapped in steel netting. These are only some of the architectural feats that Ramus has executed.

I have decided to major in civil engineering next year. I am applying for the Construction Technology Summer Program this summer. This is a paid internship that has to do with certain computer programs such as CAD and Sketch Up that are used to create computerized models of different construction projects. During college, I would like to have an internship at an engineering firm so I can see firsthand what it would be like to be in the profession. After graduating college and taking the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering exam), I would get a job at an engineering firm and then consider the option of graduate school after I have saved enough money.

3 comments:

  1. Juliet, I totally agree with your reasons for wanting to be an engineer. I think it is great that you want to be involved in the creation process not just behind the scenes. I think it will be a very rewarding career and a great thing to do as a lifestyle. And I believe that you are perfect for this type of job due to your creativity! I hope that your goals are reached and you become a civil engineer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliet, I know that you have been interested in architecture through the class you have been taking but I think your reasoning about being an engineer is fascinating. Being in charge of the actual project and seeing the end result sees to be incredibly satisfying. I can wait to visit you at University of Portland!

    ReplyDelete