Monday, May 16, 2011

Moshe Safdie on Building Uniqueness

Moshe Safdie is one of the most innovative and renowned architects of the modern world. His works can be seen all across the globe, ranging from the Telfair Museum of Art in Savannah, Georgia to the National Campus for the Archaeology of Israel in Jerusalem. Although he has been involved in constructing over 30 different cites, in this particular TED Talk, Safdie discusses four specific projects that required an intense amount of labor to make each site truly unique. One of these projects, a science museum in Wichita, Kansas, was to be built alongside the Arkansas River. However, instead of solely focusing on the architectural aspect of the building, Safdie understood that this was to be a museum of science and wanted to implement scientific techniques within his designs. He therefore sought to have the building itself constructed within the waters of the river, creating somewhat of a man-made island. The columns and beams within the building all seemed to have a close relationship to one another, just as we often see in nature. Another project Safdie was in charge of was the United States Institute of Peace Headquarters on the Mall in Washington, D.C. Again, Safdie wanted to focus on the elements that would signify a building of peace. He wanted the building to resemble symbols of hope and optimism, which therefore explains why his design is very similar to a white dove. Safdie continues to discuss two other projects in which he also interprets the purpose of the building in order to create his designs. It is this ability of interpretation and creation that makes Safdie such a well-known and celebrated architect of today.

This TED Talk interested me because I wish to pursue a career in architecture myself. I love looking at a intricately designed buildings and houses. However, after watching this TED Talk, I realized that Safdie wasn’t just an architect. He had a special gift to create meaning in even something as dull as a big, concrete structure. He exhibited a complex relationship between himself and his design, and I realized that he wasn’t solely creating buildings, but he was making art.

It struck me that one man such as Safdie could be given a project—any project in any country whatsoever—and still be able to create such a fascinating and alluring structure. This made me wonder how he was trained in the art of architecture. Raised in Canada, Safdie attended McGill University and graduated in 1961 with a degree in architecture. He then apprenticed under world-renowned architect, Louis Kahn. With Kahn’s influence, Safdie ventured off on his own, and soon his master thesis, also known as the Habitat 67 Project, was the selected design for the central feature of the World Fair. This put Safdie name on the map, and ever since then, he has been asked to design a multitude of buildings in countries like Israel, Canada, Georgia, and the United States. As well as designing buildings, Safdie also wanted to share his knowledge in this field by teaching at prestigious universities such as Harvard, Yale, and McGill. However, his teachings did not stay within the classroom. Safdie also wrote several books and articles regarding architectural theories and was also featured in various films. His world-wide fame and perpetual passion and knowledge for architecture are what surely make him a leader in his field.

After high school, I’ll be attending Santa Clara University and will be majoring in civil engineering. I understand that given today’s economy, jobs for architects are not as prevalent as they used to be. This pushed me to study something that would allow me to have a broader range of jobs while still letting me be involved in the creation of buildings or structures. During college, I’ll probably seek to intern at various architectural or engineering firms. Fortunately, SCU offers a five-year program in which engineering majors can receive both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in as little as five years. However, I also think it’s really important for me to gain hands-on experience before applying for a permanent job, which is why I aspire to one day join Gawad Kalinga, an organization that builds homes for the families in the poorest regions of the Philippines. After that, I would love to go back to school or look for jobs in any of the leading engineering firms located in the Bay Area. Despite these plans, I don’t know if I could ever compare to Moshe Safdie. But then again, who knows?! Maybe one day.

1 comment:

  1. Angela, I really like Moshe Safdie's approach when designing buildings. I think the concept of designing a building that resembles optimism and hope is especially cool. Also, I think that it is great that you want to seek a well-rounded education in architecture and engineering. I also think it's really cool that getting hands on experience before permanently entering the work force is so important to you. I too, find it very important. I find it especially admirable how you want to get your hands on experience while simultaneously helping those in the Philippines. Good luck next year! I'll visit you at SCU!

    ReplyDelete