Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Medical Miracle on Everest

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_kamler_medical_miracle_on_everest.html

So the TED talk I watched was by Ken Kalmer. In the video he explains his incredible journey to Mt. Everest which is 29,305 feet high. On Mt. Everest temperatures can be 40 degrees below zero on the summit. Though this was his 4th time out of 6 journeying to the mountain, it was definitely the most significant for him. While he was there he served as a medical officer to assist those battling the extreme conditions on the mountain. In his visit to Everest, there were a couple of climbers who had gone missing due to an incredibly fierce storm towards the summit. One climber which should have died, was able to survive three days buried beneath the snow through the power of his mind. Through self motivation he was able to basically reverse hypothermia in his body and get up through tremendous circumstances. This TED talk really interested me because I am truly interested in science and ways to help those medically injured and hindered. The power of the brain shown in this talk really makes me interested in learning about how we can use this great power to help people in the future. I don’t necessarily want to become a doctor, but I do want help people using my knowledge of science with my job in the future.

Kalmer specializes in microsurgery. He trained at Columbian Presbyterian Medical Center (for microsurgery) and also practices extreme medicine in remote locations around the world. He received his medical education at Universite De La Mediterranee (Aix-Marseille Ii), Faculte De Medecine, in Marseille, France. He graduated from medical school in 1974. Kalmer is currently living in New York City where he does hand surgery and orthopedic surgery. In 2002, Ney York Magazine chose Kamler as one of New York City’s best doctors. Kamler has served as a chief high altitude physician for NASA-sponsored research in human psychological responses to extreme altitude and has also worked with National Geographic on Mt. Everest trips to carry out geological research. He is such an inspiring figure to look up to because of his passion for the medical field and helping those in need. Even now he is constantly trying to discover new methods of helping people and as he explained in his video the new evidence he found about how powerful the mind truly is. I believe Kamler is definitely a leader in field because of all of the high end people and companies he’s worked with not including all of the life experience gained by actually going to all these remote places.

Next year I’ll be going to CSU Northridge where I’ll be majoring in Kinesiology, the study of human movement. I truly enjoy science which is mainly the reason why I picked kinesiology. I’m not really interested to become a doctor because that’s just too much schooling for me. I’m hoping this summer to apply for some internships at local chiropractic offices to hopefully get some clinic hours and possibly some valuable hands on experience. I’m planning on pursuing Physical Therapy or an Athletic Training as my future occupation which will probably both require me to get a PH.D level degree. I’m ready to take on that challenge though. If Kamler can accomplish all he has done through sheer will power and if that man survived in the snow can reverse hypothermia through just mind power, than I can surely become a successful Physical therapist/athletic trainer helping to serve people who are in need of assistance.

1 comment:

  1. I find that the sole power of the mind that can aid in healing or survival is very interesting. Such a power can be witnessed in experiments with the placebo effect. Best of luck to you at CSU Northridge, and I hope you keep pursuing your dreams, old friend.

    ReplyDelete