Saturday, May 14, 2011

Nicki Palermo- "Why we have too few women leaders"

For my TED talk I watched “Why we have too few women leaders” by Sheryl Sandberg. Sheryl Sandberg is currently the Chief Operating Officer of Facebook. In her talk she discusses that women are not making it to the top of any profession anywhere in the world. Only 13% of Parliament is women. In general, women face harder choices between success and personal fulfillment. Staying in the work force is not the right choice for everyone but Sandberg discusses what to do if you want to stay in the work force. Almost all women underestimate their own abilities and society puts more pressure on boys to succeed then girls. She highly suggests that women should not make decisions too far in advance. All in all, her talk was very inspirational and hopeful for all of the women in my generation who want to become successful. I chose to watch this talk because I want to be a sports broadcaster. This is a very difficult career path that is dominated by mostly males, but I believe that I will be successful and achieve what I want.

Erin Andrews is who I want to be. She is a sports broadcaster for ESPN and a correspondent for Good Morning America. She graduated from the University of Florida in 2000 with a degree in telecommunications. Right after college she began working with FSN Florida as a freelance reporter. She worked as a Tampa Bay Lightning reporter from 2001-2002 and then joined Turner Sports, where she covered college football and the Atlanta Braves for TBS. In 2004 she joined ESPN and was hired to report on their NHL coverage. This was the turning point in her career where her fame began. In 2005 Andrews as assigned Major League Baseball and ESPN College Football Thursday Primetime series. All of her jobs, which lead her to working at ESPN, have been in the same field, which is why I believe she became so successful.

Erin Andrews is considered a leader in her field because she is one of the only successful female sports broadcasters. She is extremely tenacious and never gave up, even after the scandal when nude pictures of her were released. It takes a lot of courage and perseverance to be able to recover from something like that and remain very successful. I believe that all of these qualities which I have just listed are why she has become such a successful women’s sports broadcaster.

After high school I want to pursue a major in communications/journalism and a minor in business. Last summer (summer before my junior year), I had an internship at The Media Center in Palo Alto, a nonprofit broadcasting center. That same summer I also took a class in interpersonal communications at Canada college and hopefully I will be taking a similar class this summer. Hopefully I will be attending Northwestern University for college and will be working at CNN in Chicago after I graduate. Chicago is an awesome city with so many internship opportunities. Northwestern has an undergrad communications school, which is one of the reasons why I want to go there. I haven’t thought about whether I want or need to go to graduate school after.

7 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you want to be a sports broadcaster even though there's very few women that have that occupation. I watched this TED talk too, and I think it's awesome that you're not letting the fact that the job is male-dominated affect you. It sounds like you're on the right track with all of your internships and extra classes, and it really seems like you know exactly what you want to do with your life. I think you'll definitely be successful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that you know basically exactly what you want to do with your life and I applaud you for that. Just like Erin Andrews, don't ever give up on your dreams. Also, good job on your internships; they'll get you places! Remember me when you're famous(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it impressive that you are determined to follow a career path that not too many woman have tried to follow. Woman have been striving for equality, and in many ways they have already achieved this goal. Now that laws have enforced equality, it is up to woman to take the positions that have previously been exclusively for men. I have had several classes with you before and know that you will be able to succeed in achieving your goals. Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nicki!
    I loved this TED talk & what you had to say about it! :) I have always felt that women needed to be recognized for more in the workforce and I think it's admirable that you want to change this and one day be an example of all the hardworking women in the world. :) Like everyone else has said too, I think that it is great that you already know what you want to be and you have been taking steps already to be prepared to be the next Erin Andrews :) Keep up the hard work & it will all pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to be in the same position as you.I want to become an athletic trainer and though there are many women athletic trainers now a days, it is hard for them to work in professional sports or to get higher positions at universities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that women aren't holding as many high power positions in the work force, and it's about time for that to change. I commend you that you want to be a sports broadcaster and I hope to see you on CNN announcing games in a few years! I think this is similar to the business world because it seems like men are mostly the people that are in charge and hold the top spots in the field. I hope all your hard work in school and jobs gets you to where you want to be because it would be nice to see a female sports broadcaster on tv.

    ReplyDelete